Looking for RA80 Service Manual EK-ORA80-SV
Lou
2009-10-23 00:44:18 UTC
Folks,

I am looking for the RA80 Service Manual: EK-ORA80-SV. It's not
on bitsavers, manx, and the usual places. I was given an RA80 that had
worked for its previous owner, but now it has trouble spinning up. It
gets up to about 25% speed, then the spindle motor cuts out and the
controller gives either error 1 or 4 on the internal leds, and flashes
the spinup error on the front panel lights. I scoped the speed sensor,
and it is OK. Same behavior when trying to run the 1E internal
diagnostic (manual spindle motor control). The manitenance guide and
user manual do not provide enough detail.

I really need the service manual to understand all the
interlocks that could cause the spindle motor to drop out during
spinup. I have a KDA50 and would like to get this drive running.

If someone has this manual I would appreciate your help in
getting a copy.

Thanks,

Lou
Jörg Hoppe
2009-10-23 11:39:29 UTC

I have
MP01286 RA80-C Field Maintenance Print Set Mar82.pdf
(My name, I forget where I downloaded from).

And the RA80 is very similar to the RA81, and RA81 is well documented:
I have
AA-M879B-TC RA81 Disk Drive Maintenance Guide.pdf
EK-0RA81-IP-001 Illustrated Parts Breakdown RA81 DISK DRIVE Aug83.pdf
EK-0RA81-SV-001 RA81 Disk Drive Service Manual Oct82.pdf
MP01359 RA81 Field Maintenance Print Set Oct82.pdf

The spindle logic should have changed too much. Hope this helps.

Jörg
Lou
Lou
2009-11-09 00:43:05 UTC
Jorg,

Thanks for the tip. The RA81 does indeed spin up the same way
the RA80 does. The RA81 manual gave me clues about spinup timeout that
helped me troubleshoot my RA80.

My problem ultimately was the 8155 (at E38 on the processor
board) that has outputs that drive the motor start capicitor relay and
motor run relay (with some drivers in between, of course.) The problem
got so bad, the motor run relay wouldn't pick up, only the start cap
relay. Then, not even the start cap relay would pick up. The motor
related 8155 signals are always outputs, so I knew somnething was up
when those 8155 outputs were stuck floating (~1.5V). I just changed
that 8155 and twice spun the drive up to ready!! So we're back in
business.

If anyone ever comes across the RA80 service manual, I'm still
interested.

Thanks,

Lou